Fire Marshal Inspections
In the State of Delaware, the Office of the State Fire Marshal requires electrical inspections to be completed for certain building occupancies at regular intervals. Regulations state that:
Electrical Inspection for Specific Occupancies.
A letter of approval of electrical inspection issued by an electrical inspection agency approved by the State Board of Electrical Examiners and recognized by the State Fire Marshal shall be filed every three (3) years with the Office of the State Fire Marshal for the following occupancies:
- Health-Care; Day-Care; Correction and Detention;
- Education, including their classroom buildings, administration buildings, gymnasiums, auditoriums, and dormitories:
- Bed and Breakfasts, Country Inns, Guest Houses;
- Lodging, Rooming and Boarding Houses;
- Hotels, Motels, and Dormitories.
Assembly occupancies shall file every five (5) years with the Office of the State Fire Marshal a letter of approval of electrical inspection issued by an electrical inspection agency approved by the State Board of Electrical Examiners and recognized by the State Fire Marshal.
First State Can Help!
Schedule an electrical safety survey of your building with First State to satisfy the Fire Marshal requirements. When we visit your property, our survey will include the following items:
- Verify working exit lights
- Check for broken switch plates or outlet covers
- Ensure working GFCI outlets in bathrooms
- Review panels for any additional work having been performed
- Evaluate use of power strips, looking for any excessive use
- Audit any use of extension cords as permanent wiring
- Inspect for any other general safety violations throughout the building
At the end of the successful inspection, our inspector will leave a sticker on site indicating approval. As well, a Letter of Approval will be sent to both you and the Fire Marshal’s office.
To schedule your survey, the following are required:
- A full list of locations to be inspected
- Completed Electrical Application
- Payment Authorization Form
It is important to note that any hazards or violations found in commercial buildings will require remedy by a Delaware-licensed electrician. In that case, our violations report can be used by the electrician to quickly locate and complete the repairs.
Schedule your Three or Five year Fire Marshal survey with First State now!